DIY tremolo cases
Question 

Members,

A used but not abused Tombo Band 3121 in G came in the mail yesterday, all the way from England. It's too bad people don't use stamps anymore, but that's a different story. I purchased it knowing it didn't have a case, and hemmed and hawed about what would make a durable case for the longer tremolo. I came up with this: a Rothco enhanced police mace holder. It is 5.5 inches deep, item # 20576, I got it a Surplus World Inc., an army/navy store, in Columbus, Ohio. They have an online presence as well. 

It works well for the 3121, and for a few other harmonicas that I have also pictured with it.

Also shown is my DIY hard case for a Hohner Comet. It's my wife's old glasses case from Zenni optical. 

So, what are y'all using for cases/carrying bags, etc., when your harmonicas don't come with any? I'm always looking for a better solution! 

Thanks.

Rick
(09-30-2016, 05:43 PM)Ohiotremolo Wrote: Members,

A used but not abused Tombo Band 3121 in G came in the mail yesterday, all the way from England. It's too bad people don't use stamps anymore, but that's a different story. I purchased it knowing it didn't have a case, and hemmed and hawed about what would make a durable case for the longer tremolo. I came up with this: a Rothco enhanced police mace holder. It is 5.5 inches deep, item # 20576, I got it a Surplus World Inc., an army/navy store, in Columbus, Ohio. They have an online presence as well. 

It works well for the 3121, and for a few other harmonicas that I have also pictured with it.

Also shown is my DIY hard case for a Hohner Comet. It's my wife's old glasses case from Zenni optical. 

So, what are y'all using for cases/carrying bags, etc., when your harmonicas don't come with any? I'm always looking for a better solution! 

Thanks.

Rick

I have a mixture of different eyeglasses and goggles cases, knife sheathes, and old cell phone cases for my harmonicas, my 16 hole chromatic is in a case I made myself from cardboard and duct tape.
That case you have for that new Tombo looks awesome.  
Nice harps by the way.  Do the Humming and Chromatic fit it nicely as well? They seem a bit thicker.
For awhile I used a tackle box that had movable dividers. I set the dividers for the length of the tremolo harmonicas. Now I mostly keep them in their original cases. I can put those cases into an old video camera bag to carry several at once. When I play for an event I like to wear a jacket that has inside and outside pockets and also a shirt with breast pockets and then keep the harps in the many pockets. It keeps them warm so I don't have issues with condensation. Starting at 29 minutes in this video you can see the jacket I use most often.

(09-30-2016, 09:05 PM)Crawforde Wrote:
(09-30-2016, 05:43 PM)Ohiotremolo Wrote: Members,

Thanks.

Rick

I have a mixture of different eyeglasses and goggles cases, knife sheathes, and old cell phone cases for my harmonicas, my 16 hole chromatic is in a case I made myself from cardboard and duct tape.
That case you have for that new Tombo looks awesome.  
Nice harps by the way.  Do the Humming and Chromatic fit it nicely as well? They seem a bit thicker.

Cardboard and duct tape eh? Nice! The Humming fits fine. The Chromatic is very tight. And you have to pull it out by the slider. So I wouldn't recommend that case for that harp. The Humming is thicker than the Tombo. Heavier because of that too. Feels a bit nicer in the hands than the Tombo. The Humming sounds a bit nicer too. But, not that much nicer.

Rick

(10-01-2016, 12:17 AM)Rex Wrote: For awhile I used a tackle box that had movable dividers. I set the dividers for the length of the tremolo harmonicas. Now I mostly keep them in their original cases. I can put those cases into an old video camera bag to carry several at once. When I play for an event I like to wear a jacket that has inside and outside pockets and also a shirt with breast pockets and then keep the harps in the many pockets. It keeps them warm so I don't have issues with condensation. Starting at 29 minutes in this video you can see the jacket I use most often.

Rex,

Nice work/sound.song selection. I must figure out the tongue blocking technique someday. Baby steps. You have my admiration for getting up there in front of the church crowd. 

Regarding jackets. I bought an Orvis Zambezi twill safari jacket a few years back on eBay. Tons of pockets. A photographer's jacket if ever there was one. But alas, after just seeing if a Humming case fits in any of the inside pockets, I have to report that it's not a tremolo-friendly coat. A 10-hole harp coat for sure, but not for something as long as a tremolo. Oh well.
I took some pictures of my do it yourself case. Wearing a multi pocket jacket is not practical for an outdoor gig in July (which I have done for a Bluegrass/Old Time music festival and BBQ). Trouble with this case is be careful where you sit it down. It makes it easy for all your harps to walk off really fast. I place the Suzuki tremolo harps two to a compartment, one face down and one face up. I wrap them in their cleaning clothes so they don't rub together (making noise and maybe scratching themselves). They fit snug but not tight this way. The Seydel Sailor tremolo has it's own compartment and there is a thread spool to make it fit and not slide around. (If you don't have cleaning clothes that came with your harps you can use eyeglass cleaning clothes, same material.) I have also provided a link of what I think is the same box I am using. I am not sure. I have had mine for more than a decade. I bought it at Home Depot for $4. The Lee Oskar bumper sticker let's you know it's a harp case.  Big Grin
http://www.stanleytools.com/en-us/produc...er/014014r
http://www.toolbarn.com/stanley-014014r.html

(10-13-2016, 08:06 PM)Rex Wrote: I took some pictures of my do it yourself case. Wearing a multi pocket jacket is not practical for an outdoor gig in July (which I have done for a Bluegrass/Old Time music festival and BBQ). Trouble with this case is be careful where you sit it down. It makes it easy for all your harps to walk off really fast. I place the Suzuki tremolo harps two to a compartment, one face down and one face up. I wrap them in their cleaning clothes so they don't rub together (making noise and maybe scratching themselves). They fit snug but not tight this way. The Seydel Sailor tremolo has it's own compartment and there is a thread spool to make it fit and not slide around. (If you don't have cleaning clothes that came with your harps you can use eyeglass cleaning clothes, same material.) I have also provided a link of what I think is the same box I am using. I am not sure. I have had mine for more than a decade. I bought it at Home Depot for $4. The Lee Oskar bumper sticker let's you know it's a harp case.  Big Grin

Nice case, and an ice selection of harps too!
How do the Humming and the Sailor Steel compare?
(10-20-2016, 02:49 PM)Crawforde Wrote:
(10-13-2016, 08:06 PM)Rex Wrote: I took some pictures of my do it yourself case. Wearing a multi pocket jacket is not practical for an outdoor gig in July (which I have done for a Bluegrass/Old Time music festival and BBQ). Trouble with this case is be careful where you sit it down. It makes it easy for all your harps to walk off really fast. I place the Suzuki tremolo harps two to a compartment, one face down and one face up. I wrap them in their cleaning clothes so they don't rub together (making noise and maybe scratching themselves). They fit snug but not tight this way. The Seydel Sailor tremolo has it's own compartment and there is a thread spool to make it fit and not slide around. (If you don't have cleaning clothes that came with your harps you can use eyeglass cleaning clothes, same material.) I have also provided a link of what I think is the same box I am using. I am not sure. I have had mine for more than a decade. I bought it at Home Depot for $4. The Lee Oskar bumper sticker let's you know it's a harp case.  Big Grin

Nice case, and an ice selection of harps too!
How do the Humming and the Sailor Steel compare?

I did a review right after I got it. I can add that my opinion is the same and the harp has held up well and the tuning is still perfect. Here is the review:
http://thetremolo.ponderworthy.com/forum...hp?tid=790

Website Security Test