Tab format.
I use standard Richter harp tab on the tremolo harp. There is a lot of Richter tab to be found on line. If somebody can create a PDF or GIF I would be willing to work with them to create a document to show where the Ricther notes are on the tremolo. I am not aware of other tremolo tab formats or numbering systems, that is why I came up with my own. Probably others have come up with the same or similar system before me, but I did mine independently. Here is my system in a chart (Richter tab on left, tremolo note on right)(pair means one hole from top row plus the hole directly below it)(' and " mean half step and full step bend on Richter, not bends on tremolo)(21 note Asian system aka scale tuned):

+1=1st blow note, 2nd pair of holes from left, key note

-1=1st draw note, just to the left of +1, this is the first pair of holes on the harp

+2=2nd blow note, 4th pair of holes from left

-2'=2nd draw note, just to the left of +2

-2 play +3 because on a Richter draw 2 and blow 3 are the same note

+3=3rd blow note, 6th pair of holes from left

-3"=3rd draw note, just to the left of +3

-3=draw note just to the right of +3

+4=4th blow note, 8th pair from left, key note

-4=draw note to the right of +4

+5=5th blow note, 10th pair from the left

-5=draw note to the right of +5

+6=6th blow note, 12th pair from the left

-6=draw note to the right of +6

+7=7th blow pair, 14th pair from left, key note

-7=draw pair to the right of +7 (starting here the pattern changes and the draw is lower than the blow, just like a Richter)

+8=8th blow note, 16th pair from left

-8=draw note to the right of +8

+9=9th blow note, 18th pair from the left, 4th pair counting from the right

-9=draw note to the right of +9

+10=last blow note, key note

-10=last draw note, last note on a 21 note tremolo

This system works for me, but I spent many years playing a 10 hole Richter. If you started with the tremolo
perhaps another system would work for you. My Suzuki harps have no hole numbers, just highlighted key notes.

edit: Some tremolo harps have 24 notes. 2 of those notes are beyond the range of the Richter. There is a low blow note. I would suggest calling it 0 since Richter tabs start at 1. There is a high draw note that is the same as a blow bend on hole 10 so using this system it would be 10' or 10b. Then there is the highest blow note which I suggest be called 11.
Rex,
That's pretty awesome, very detailed and to the point. As you already know, there are scales out there, but I wouldn't have a clue as to how to get them posted. I'm thinking JEB can figure this out, or John Bloecker. You, JEB & John B., are light years ahead of me on the "how to's".

I do know that there are 9 harmonica note scales shown in Phil Duncan's book called Tremolo & Octave Harmonica Method. Richter and solo.

I am sure as we get this forum up and going we'll be able to add pdf files. Maybe we can now, and I just don't know how.
We can indeed attach PDFs -- but it has to be done in the "main" editor not the "Quick Reply", you have to click on the "New Reply" button first, and then you will find at the bottom of the form the words "New Attachment" and a button labelled "Browse". Images (PNG, JPG, GIF, etc.) you can add from the main editor and have them visible, just like YouTube video links.
---
Jonathan E. Brickman
Music of compassion; fire, and life!
jeb@ponderworthy.com
http://ponderworthy.com
Well I just Tabbed for diatonic, but follows ok on Tremlo. "Will You Remember, Sweetheart", I put it on Harptabs, (of course you all know Harptabs ). How can we put Tabs on our forum??
Hello, Dezzy.

Dezzy writes:
How can we put tremolo tabs on the Tremolo Forum?

That opens a BIG can of worms.
That is the subject for a book,
if anyone wants to write it.

There are many known tremolo tabs. At least a dozen.

There are at least 3 reed placement systems standard on tremolos.
Customized tremolos are not included here.

The Richter tremolos, by themselves, may start on either "do", "mi", or "so"
as hole 1 (left side, lowest pitch). The other standard placements may also
have that going.

The range (amount of reeds) of each tremolo model varies: 10 double holes, 12, 16,
20, 21, 22, 24, 48, 96, 128, etc.

There are Richter, Solo and Asian tremolos, slide chromatic tremolos, no slide chromatic
tremolos, 2 tremolos in one hand, 3-4- tremolos, Carousel ("Paddlewheel") tremolos, etc.

The Hohner hole system is different from the Seydel system.

I'm going bonkers, just thinking about it Huh .

John Broecker
(01-20-2015, 12:35 PM)john_broecker Wrote: Hello, Dezzy.

Dezzy writes:
How can we put tremolo tabs on the Tremolo Forum?

That opens a BIG can of worms.
That is the subject for a book,
if anyone wants to write it.

There are many known tremolo tabs. At least a dozen.

There are at least 3 reed placement systems standard on tremolos.
Customized tremolos are not included here.

The Richter tremolos, by themselves, may start on either "do", "mi", or "so"
as hole 1 (left side, lowest pitch). The other standard placements may also
have that going.

The range (amount of reeds) of each tremolo model varies: 10 double holes, 12, 16,
20, 21, 22, 24, 48, 96, 128, etc.

There are Richter, Solo and Asian tremolos, slide chromatic tremolos, no slide chromatic
tremolos, 2 tremolos in one hand, 3-4- tremolos, Carousel ("Paddlewheel") tremolos, etc.

The Hohner hole system is different from the Seydel system.

I'm going bonkers, just thinking about it  Huh .

John Broecker
I used to teach a Mouth Organ class about ten or so years ago and I scratched my head with this one as well. Due to the fact that people turned up with so many different shapes and sizes of Harmonicas, plus the differences pointed out above, I came to the conclusion that it just wasn’t really possible. I ended up using written music with Do, rae, me etc, underneath and blow draw arrows as well, as a help. This was very very time consuming to produce and required me to be there to teach as well. It worked, just, but only really if I was there.
It may be possible to have a 'standard system' on a 'standard instrument' then let the student transpose what they’ve learned to whatever other Harmonica they want to play it on. But who sets the standards?
Glad to have you here, George. I agree about using sheet music. I posted a thread about it with some links to simple tunes in C. I can read music but usually play by ear. It's more fun. Reading can be work. Smile
Well I don't see how we can use the Asian system of just 7 notes per octave with a dot above or below to show the Octave, because we (I) cant' type it. Perhaps a symbol like <4 low octave and >6 high octave. Just thinking. And it could be cumbersome going to number 22
Hello, Dezzy.

There are many tremolo tab systems, maybe as many as there are types of tremolos.

If you can't use the Asian system tabs (with the lowest holes numbered with a dot below,
and the highest with a dot above the spelling), try this system, with each 2 holes
counted as one hole (two paired vertical exhale reeds and two paired vertical inhale reeds
per hole. The sign ( || ) divides one hole from the others. Hole 1 is the first hole on the left:

||G|d||C|f||E|a||G|b||C|d||E|f||G|a||C|b||E|d||G|f||C|a||E|b|| (bottom reed plate is the same)

1^ = exhale, hole 1; 2~ = inhale, hole 2 . OR: ( no sign ) = exhale, ( * ) = inhale.

That might work for your Tab system.

Best Regards

John Broecker
Yes, John, many signs. But I was considering not counting every hole to 21 or 24 and just using the 7 numbers for each octave. Usually I find the diatonic Tabs OK, just try which octave is best to start with.

Website Security Test