Suzuki SCT-128 Chromatic Tremolo
Hello Tremolo and Slide Chromatic Fans.

I'm not an employee of any harmonica maker, seller, distributor, music or media publisher.

The Suzuki SCT-128 is a 4-octave (16 mouthpiece holes) slide chromatic tremolo harmonica.
It's a standard solo system harmonica, like the Suzuki SCX-64; Hohner Super 64; and many other brands'
64 reeds slide chromatics, but it's also a tremolo, and has 128 reeds (8 reeds per mouthpiece hole).

It has a great, thick, tooled leather "holster", such as used for hand pistols, with a strong snap, and the
leather case may be worn on a belt.

The SCT-128 has a rounded, gold-plated brass mouthpiece; reeds are soldered, not riveted to the reed plates;
chrome-plated brass covers; plastic comb (body); phosphor bronze reeds; reed plates are screwed, not nailed,
to the comb, and go straight through both reed plates.

The SCT-128 measures 200 X 80 X 30 millimeters (7.8 X 3.15 X 1.5 inches); with brass reed plates. It's tuned
in equal temperament, range 4 0ctaves from C3-D7. It's playable in all scales based on the chromatic (12-note)
scale.

It's designed as a melodic instrument, so there are very few 3- or 4-note chords available. The tremolo effect
is the "dry tremolo" effect used by the Asian harp makers (the two vertically matched reeds are tuned closer
in pitch than the "wet tremolo" effect of the German and Brazilian brands).

The SCT-128 is an excellent slide chromatic tremolo, the only mass-produced slide tremolo ever made. It's a perfect
harp for slow ballads, or slow tempo tunes that use extra sharps or flats ("accidentals") not in the key of the tune.

The only negative is it's very high price. It's probably the world's most expensive mass-produced tremolo harmonica.
The last time I checked, it was listed at about $1,500 USA dollars, retail price.

It's worth every penny.

John Broecker
Nice review John. I'd sure like to have one of those babies. But at around $1500 I'd have to come out of retirement and find a job.
Yah, that's actually more than I paid for my truck :-) But indeed I'd love to have such a chromatic option...
---
Jonathan E. Brickman
Music of compassion; fire, and life!
jeb@ponderworthy.com
http://ponderworthy.com
Hello, Jonathan & Terry.

I own a SCT-128.

It was a gift from a British harp player,
who wishes to remain anonymous.

Best Regards

John Broecker
(01-16-2015, 05:01 AM)john_broecker Wrote: Hello, Jonathan & Terry.

I own a SCT-128.

It was a gift from a British harp player,
who wishes to remain anonymous.

Best Regards

John Broecker

Congratulations John. After viewing photos and details, that is one more good looking tremolo Tell me, I know you really enjoy your Seydel Mountain 96, which is wet. How does the Mountain compare to your Suzuki SCT-128, which is dry? Has the SCT-128 replaced your Mountain 96 as your favorite go-to harp? Is it really that much better overall in everthing that matters? I am trying to find out what justifies the difference in cost.

When I bought my Mississippi harp for $8.00 it was my favorite tremolo. When I bought my first Swan for $15.00 it became by favorite. Later when I bought my Suzuki Humming at around $50.00 it became my favorite tremolo right away. And now, after recently taking delivery on a Mountain 80 at $96.00, it has completely captured my attention. I say all of this so you can see the pattern. The more the cost of the tremolo, the better the harp, in all things that matter.

And Best Regards to you John,

Terry
Hello, Terry.

This is similar to comparing a 16-hole solo system slide chromatic with a 12-hole
solo system diatonic harmonica.

The Suzuki SCT-128 is a chromatic solo system tremolo,
and the Seydel Mountain 96 is a diatonic solo system tremolo.
Each has it's uses.

Solo system tremolos, available in either diatonic or chromatic scales,
are designed for playing single note melodies, with few chords.

The differences continue:

The Suzuki SCT-128 has more reeds (128) than the Mountain Harp (96);
The SCT-128 has a slider mechanism, the Mountain Harp Doesn't;
The SCT-128 has higher quality materials used.
The SCT-128 has the "dry" tremolo effect, the Mountain Harp has the
"wet" tremolo effect.
The SCT-128 has welded reeds to the reed plates, the MH has
(on my 2000 vintage) nails to the reed plates.

There are many more differences than similarities between the two harmonicas.

Similarities

Both Seydel Mountain Harp and Suzuki SCT-128 have plastic combs.
Both harps have been assembled and tuned by highly skilled workers.

But, they are different harmonicas. The Mountain Harp is used more often
by me, than the SCT-128.

Best Regards

John Broecker
Hi John,
Thanks for explaining things.

You know John, I recently learned a valuable lesson. All so called solo tremolos are not solo tremolos. I took delivery on a TOMCO Premium 21 this afternoon. It's a beautiful tremolo harmonica and the notes are nice, the best I've experienced on the low end. However, the note layout is exactly like the Humming. I had read that it was solo tuned, just like the Mountain 80. But much to my dismay, it's not like it at all.

I thought about sending it back, but it is a D, and I wanted a D, and it very easy to make singe notes and plays beautifully. It's almost hard to blow or draw a bad note. It's not a very loud harp, nothing like the Humming or Mountain. One would need a mik if playing out. So, all things considered, I have decided to keep it and enjoy.

The next time I find myself considering a solo tuned tremolo, if you don't mind, I'm going to ask you to check it out to verify that is is indeed solo, like the Mountain 80.

There is the real possibility that I really didn't understand that there are more than one meaning to the term "solo".
I would never even consider strapping that beautiful hand tooled leather case to my side and walking into airport security but the looks and comments you get when you pull it out for a gig are really something. Fast tunes sound okay on the SCT 128 but for my tastes, slow ballads and love songs is where it really shines.
Hello, Danny G.

Welcome to the Tremolo Forum.

Danny's newharmonica.com
website is popular in the USA,
for the great products, service
and quick delivery, and certainly
for Danny, who really cares about
harmonica players: he's a player.

I enjoy playing the Suzuki SCT-128
chromatic slide tremolo harp. It's the
only Suzuki slide chromatic that I own.

It's versatile, has a great sound, solo system